Phone: (251) 432-5521
Fax: (251) 432-0633
In over two decades of practice, Mr. Finnegan has had extensive experience handling:
- Civil cases at the trial and appellate levels of the state and federal court systems, and in mediation and arbitration. Mr. Finnegan has a particular focus on complex litigation, such as civil RICO actions and False Claims Act defense, but has represented clients in a wide array of other cases, including commercial litigation of all kinds and matters involving defamation, tax issues, product liability (including many lawsuits involving pharmaceutical products and medical devices), insurance coverage, legal malpractice, employment disputes and bankruptcy.
- White collar criminal matters, including investigations and proceedings concerning offenses involving the environment, insurance fraud, public corruption, antitrust issues, and financial and tax matters.
- Internal investigations.
- Regulatory matters.
- Fordham University School of Law, J.D., 1995
- Queens College, B.A., 1990
- National University of Ireland at Galway: B.S., 1982; post-graduate diploma in computer systems, 1983
- Law Clerk to Honorable Richard W. Vollmer, Jr., United States District Court, Southern District of Alabama, 1995-1996.
ILLUSTRATIVE REPORTED CASES
- NCI Group, Inc. v. Cannon Services, Inc., 2011 WL 5599127, RICO Bus.Disp.Guide 12,146 (N.D. Ga. Nov 16, 2011)
- Barnhill v. Teva Pharmaceuticals USA, Inc., 819 F.Supp.2d 1254 (S.D. Ala. 2011)
- Alfa Mutual Insurance Co. v. City of Mobile, 981 So.2d 371 (Ala. 2007)
- Won dismissal of products liability lawsuit in the Circuit Court of Tuscaloosa County, Alabama, on behalf of defendant pharmaceutical manufacturer and pharmacy company. On eve of court hearing on defendants’ motions for summary judgment, plaintiff voluntarily dismissed lawsuit rather than respond to motions.
- Won dismissal of product liability action against contact lens manufacturer in the United States District Court for the Southern District of Alabama.
- In mediation and arbitration of Alabama derivative lawsuit filed in the Circuit Court of Baldwin County, Alabama, won full ownership of limited liability company for client in dispute with partner who formerly owned fifty percent interest in company.
- Represented investor in FINRA arbitration against national brokerage firm and broker who had engaged in unauthorized trading and churning on investor’s account, and recovered client funds in settlement.
- New York
- United States Court of Appeals, 11th Circuit
- United States District Court for the Southern, Middle, and Northern Districts of Alabama
- United States District Courts for the Southern and Eastern Districts of New York
SPEECHES & PUBLICATIONS
- Presentation on technical aspects of electronic discovery preservation, collection, processing, review and production at November 17, 2016 seminar titled, “How to Get Your Social Media, Email & Text Evidence Admitted (and Keep Theirs Out),” sponsored by the National Business Institute.
- Presentation on the 2015 amendments to the Federal Rules of Civil Procedure at December 10, 2015 seminar, sponsored by the National Business Institute.
- Presentation on breach of contract disputes at July 30, 2012 seminar titled “Business Contracts A to Z,” sponsored by the National Business Institute.
- Presentation titled Federal Criminal Laws Affecting State & Local Government Officials, given at the Alabama Probate Judges’ Summer Conference, June 2010.
- Fordham Law School: Fordham International Law Journal, Articles Editor; Hugh Jones Prize at Graduation for excellence in Criminal Law, Constitutional Law and Legal Ethics; Archibald Murray Public Service Award
- Queens College: Golden Key National Honor Society; GPA 4.0
- Alabama State Bar Leadership Forum: Member, Class 5 (2009); Organizing Committee for Class 6 (2010)
- Alabama Lawyer Magazine, Board of Editors Committee, 2009-2012
ASSOCIATIONS AND AFFILIATIONS
- Paul W. Brock Inn of Court
- American Bar Association
- Alabama and New York State Bar Associations
- Mobile Bar Association
- Alabama Defense Lawyers Association
- Board Member and Past President, Restore Mobile (organization dedicated to restoring and preserving Mobile’s historic architecture and neighborhoods)
- Coach of elementary school soccer team