- While the firm has the skill and experience to successfully handle a dispute from the commencement of a lawsuit through trial and appeal, we recognize that litigation is not always the best course. Oftentimes, alternative dispute resolution methods, such as mediation or arbitration, are simpler and more efficient.
- Our attorneys have represented many types of businesses, as well as individuals, in hundreds of mediation and arbitration proceedings in Alabama and throughout the United States, and we are familiar with the rules and procedures of leading alternative dispute resolution organizations such as the American Arbitration Association, JAMS-ENDISPUTE, and FINRA. We always explore early on in a dispute whether these alternatives to litigation are appropriate.
- Counsel for international oil services and telecommunications company in four-week arbitration in Alabama, resulting in $8 million award in favor of client
- Secured $800,000 award for client product inventor/licensor in week-long arbitration in Illinois concerning breach of a manufacturing contract
- Before three-member panel, successfully defended multi-million dollar fraud and breach-of-contract claims against petroleum distributor and obtained award for several hundred thousands of dollars on counterclaim
- Obtained award for employer in arbitration of employee’s breach-of-contract claims seeking substantial award in back pay and others benefits
- Regular representation of local transit system in arbitrating with labor union before Federal Mediation and Conciliation Service (FCMS) members
Examples of Successful Mediations
- Resolved “pool” of nine wrongful death cases relating to ingestion of prescription pharmaceutical product
- Resolved multiple personal injury cases relating to train derailment
- Resolved numerous individual personal injury cases relating to use of over-the-counter medication
- Settled several multiple-plaintiff wrongful death and catastrophic injury claims arising out aviation accidents
- Resolved catastrophic injury case involving injury allegedly caused by exercise equipment
- Resolved wrongful death claim involving electrocution prior to suit after conducting detailed investigation
John N. Leach, James B. Newman, Warren C. Herlong, Joseph P. H. Babington, R. Alan Alexander, A. Edwin Stuardi, J. Casey Pipes, Patrick C. Finnegan, Russell C. Buffkin, Christopher T. Conte, T. Ryan Luna